Bill Hull to lead new Adult Discipleship Hour Series
Sundays, May 6 through June 3
9:00 am (prompt) in the Parish Hall
Alamitos Belmont Rehabilitation Hospital
Worship Services – at 4th and Termino
Sundays, May 6, 20, 27
Everyone is invited to attend a short service with the residents of AB, assist. Newcomers are always welcome!
3rd Saturday Meal for the Hungry
Saturday, May 19
8:30 – 11:15 am Set Up/Meal Prep
11:15 am – 1:00 pm Serve/Clean up
Come take part in this opportunity to provide a meal for our guests, the poor in our community. To help, please email Dawn at firstname.lastname@example.org or sign up on the kiosk at church.
Empty Pill Bottles Ministry
Our empty pill bottle ministry is ongoing. Instead of throwing these bottles away, bring them to church and place them in the basket located in the Parish Hall. They will be stripped of their labels and sanitized for re-use in less fortunate countries.
at All Saints
Friday May 4 | 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm
Saturday May 5 | 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Poets and songwriters of all ages are invited to this retreat, held at All Saints Cathedral with the help of United Adoration. Come for a spiritually rejuvenating weekend of connecting with other songwriters and worshipers, creating music in solitude and in collaboration, and in communing with God.
Wednesday, May 9
6:45 pm Worship Service
So when [the apostles] had come together, they asked [Jesus], “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” And when he had said these things, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, and said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.” Acts 1:6-11 esv
Ascension Day commemorates the bodily Ascension of Jesus into heaven. After 40 days of post-Easter instruction, Jesus commands His disciples (including us): “You shall be my witnesses…to the end of the earth” (Acts 1:8 esv). As Christ ascended to heaven, He became our eternal Advocate at His Father’s side, glorified our humanity, and sent the Holy Spirit to enable us to witness and minister in His Name. Come and celebrate this holy day at All Saints.
Good Friday At 5:15 PM
Greetings Family of All Saints! In case you haven’t heard, it is time to begin planning for the next Good Friday At 5:15PM performance outreach ministry event. With the LORD’S blessing we hope to put it on during the last three weekends of Lent, all Friday and Saturday evenings in 2019:
March 29 and 30
April 5 and 6
April 12 and 13
We say, “with the LORD’S blessing” because it is entirely up to Him if the ministry happens next Lent or not. How will we know? Simple: if everyone steps up and volunteers to help put it on, God will provide everything we need when we need it-and that is exactly what happened the first time All Saints put on Good Friday At 5:15PM.
It begins with putting together a staff. This is not the people performing in the shows (unless, of course they want to). Rather it is a series of key positions filled by volunteers who want to take part in organizing, promoting, and putting on the performances. Here is a list of those positions with an explanation of the job duties required.
- Prayer Teams – people to pray for this production as an outreach tool-starting now and all the way to and through the performances. We want to impact as many people as we can this time around and you can do this on your own-right now from your home!
- Grounds Person – is responsible for the church and the surrounding property; has keys and the authority to deal with any security problems or issues that might arise. Handles any permits and is the primary liaison between All Saints Anglican Cathedral Long Beach, and the immediate neighborhood. Works closely with the director and oversees the entire production.
- Wardrobe Person – since we already have all the costumes, this person would be responsible for taking the performers’ measurements and making any non-permanent alterations to the costumes. This individual would work closely with the director, stage managers and performers to ensure the costumes are organized and made ready for the performances. Should the need arise for a few more costumes, this person would oversee organizing sewing parties to make them.
- Director – works with the performers and sets schedules for rehearsals and performances. This job is perhaps the toughest of all since each year we perform Good Friday At 5:15 PM, the Director is essentially the only staff member starting from scratch every time. This person is key and integral to getting stage managers, auditioning the performers, assigning parts, scheduling rehearsals as well as assisting with coordinating the entire production.
- Hospitality Coordinator – people who greet visitors with coffee and light refreshments before and after they make their journey into Jerusalem. The Hospitality Coordinator is in charge of organizing volunteers to be greeters, menu planning for snacks, and any assistance in dealing with the visiting public.
- Advertising and Public Relations Person – responsible for relationships with the community and the surrounding neighborhood. Handles all advertising to promote Good Friday 5:15 PM as well as any correspondence. This includes website(s), local newspapers, and, if it arises, radio and television spots.
- Financial Officer – responsible for all fund-raising and keeping track of all expenditures.
- Set Design Person – responsible for building the set of Jerusalem. The primary construction of the set is done. This individual will organize work crews, the moving of the set of the set out of storage, assembling it, as well as clearing schedules with the church office and setting construction dates. The Set Design Person would also be responsible for any repairs or changes to the set, in addition to dismantling it afterward, marking it and storing it for use the next time around.
- Props Manager – responsible for organizing all the props for each performance. The Props Manager sees to the numbering, care and placement of the props at the beginning of each performance and their return at the end.
- Animal Coordinator – while we did not have any animals at the first production of Good Friday At 5:15 PM, we would-for the sake of realism-like to acquire a few sheep or goats this time around. The Animal Coordinator would be responsible for acquiring and caring for the animals used during the production. This includes seeing that they are fed and properly cared for as well as any clean-up that may be needed during the production. Most likely this position will involve finding outside professionals capable of providing this service.
- Security Chief – responsible for any problems that arise during the production requiring the removal of person or persons from the church grounds during the performance. Works closely with the Grounds Person in securing the facilities before, during and after performances.
*All these positions may require additional support from other individuals volunteering to help. As such, the people in these positions are responsible for selecting and working with any additional volunteers.
By the way-copies of the Good Friday At 5:15 PM Staff Positions are available on the table in the parish office hallway or at the exits to the church after services on Sunday. Feel free to pick one up and take it with you!)
Do you know another person or church who may be interested in helping? Please pass that information along to the church office or to Bill Austin at email@example.com.
If nothing more, please pray about this list-include Good Friday At 5:15PM in your regular prayers. Pray to the LORD for His blessing and that it would please Him to send us volunteers and workers to make this upcoming outreach ministry a reality. Remember, we are trying to send out the Gospel Message of Good Friday as a testimony to the surrounding neighborhood, the City of Long Beach, and the rest of Los Angeles if possible.
And last of all, if you feel called to be a part of the Good Friday Staff, pray about it and ask the LORD first. Then, if you know you’re certain, contact the church office or e-mail Bill Austin at: firstname.lastname@example.org
God’s blessings on us all and His will be done!
Mother’s Day Brunch at All Saints
Everyone is invited to a special brunch honoring mothers. For food planning purposes, please sign up at the kiosk at church or by emailing Dawn at email@example.com.
Arend is Recording an Album
In the last couple years, I’ve been pleased to see two of my passions – music ministry and songwriting – coalesce into one vocation. I have so much gratitude to All Saints for this, since I’ve found in All Saints a community that has uniquely encouraged me in my gifts and given me a sacred space where I can share my songs and hymns with a family. Thank you to all who have affirmed me in this work.
After receiving encouragement from friends here, I’ve decided to record a homemade acoustic album of a selection of songs I’ve written for congregational worship and personal devotion. As I take steps in this direction, I’m experiencing this effervescent joy that I have only felt when making decisions of obedience to the Lord. The Holy Spirit wells up within us when we obey His voice, and He gives us the joy and strength to carry on in the way. I want to invite you to walk and pray with me in this journey.
Thank you for your care and kindness,
Save the Date:
Saturday, June 2
9:00 am – 5:30 pm
at All Saints Cathedral
Fr. Scott invites and encourages you to join him for an important day of equipping the saints through NEXT STEPS in Mission. The Great Commission drives who we are and everything we do in ministry. NEXT STEPS equips us to embody the gospel and carry it to the world, not only as clergy, but as believing members who made these promises at our baptism and/or confirmation. Please read more from our guest speakers and mark your calendars now to attend. For registration information click here and we hope to see you there!
Holy Days in May
Feast of St. Phillip and St. James, Apostles (tr)
Worship Service at 6:45 pm
Ascension Day (tr)
Worship Service at 6:45 pm
Feast of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (tr)
Evensong at 6:45 pm